Festival of Contemporary Art "GOGOLFEST", NGO, Kyiv, Ukraine
Main Postal Address
Festival of Contemporary Art “GOGOLFEST”
136, Velyka Vasylkivska Str. (Chervonoarmiyska Str.),
Kyiv, 03150 Ukraine
President of GOGOLFEST, Vlad Troitskyi (DAKH CCA): e-mail: [email protected]
Program Director of GOGOLFEST, Iryna Gorban : e-mail: [email protected], phone/fax (+38 044) 529 40 62, mob.( +38 067) 2359406
The Festival of Contemporary Art “GOGOLFEST” is a polyphonic, multicultural festival of modern art. It is the first multidisciplinary international arts festival in Ukraine. The festival brings together and presents in a single interactive space modern painting and installation, audio-visual art, electro-acoustic and chamber music, theater, modern dance and literary projects, as well as an educational program including training sessions, seminars and master classes.
Vlad Troitskyi, director of Centre of Contemporary Art “DAKH”, established GOGOLFEST in 2007. The project was created by a progressive group of Ukrainians who strived to create a new contemporary art scene in Ukraine. There has been rising need for the development of an art forum that presents a high level of Ukrainian culture and contemporary arts to the world. Since 2008, Evgeni Utkin (Kvazar Micro IT company) has been Chairman of the GOGOLFEST Board of Trustees.
The great author and playwright, Nikolai Gogol, embodies facets of two Slavic cultures. His work also shows that Ukrainian and Russian share common European roots and values. Nikolai Gogol’s legacy inspired the festival’s name. GOGOLFEST is rapidly becoming a cultural hub, combining the avant-garde of Ukrainian and Russian contemporary arts with the European arts of the East and West.
GOGOLFEST is a fundamental investment into the future and education of the Ukrainian nation. It is an attempt to find a place for contemporary arts in this culture and serves as an opportunity to present a new generation of Ukrainian artists to the World.
The festival came to light in the unique Old Arsenal, a former armaments factory built by the Italian architect Johann Moeller in 1803. In 2010 festival has changed its location and moved to the Dovzhenko National filmstudio.
The amount of visitors rose from 10 000 to 100 000 people over 4 years. 80% of the audience were between 15-30 years, and 60% of them between 25-30 years. About 800 participants from more than 32 countries participate annually.
International partners: “Chekhov International Theatre Festival” (Moskow, Russia), “Passage Festival”(France), Meyerhold Centre(Moscow, Russia); “Festival of New European Theatre NET ” (Moskow, Russia), Moskow House of Photography (Moscow, Russia), Lubimovka, New Writing Festival (Moscow, Russia).
- September 7–14, 2007 - Place "Artistic Arsenal". Headliners: CCA "DAKH", "Kyiv Soloists" Chamber Ensemble, Audience - 10 000. Features: Establishment in Ukraine of the first annual festival of contemporary art
- May 7–25, 2008 – Place "Artistic Arsenal" , Headliners: composer V. Martynov, T. Hrindenko with "OPUS-POSTH" Ensemble, E. Gromov, Dmitry Pokrovsky Ensemble and St. Nikolsky Choir of the Tretyakov Gallery, "Volkov Trio", Alla Zagaykevych, St. Petersburg Engineering Theatre "AXE","LaboraToria", D. Ilyes Hungarian National Theatre (Beregovo), Studio "Sounddrama", "Kyiv Modern ballet" Theater “DEREVO” by Anton Adasinsky. Audience 50 000. Features: GOGOLFEST works together with other festivals, including "Sheshory", "Land of Dreams", "Youth", "Open Night", "Step", "French Spring", "Jazz Koktebel", "Cathedral of Song" and others
- September 11–27, 2009 - Place "Artistic Arsenal". Headliners: Performance of Dmitry Bogomazov's "Hamlet", tours of Perm "By the Bridge" Theatre, concert performance "Dreams of the lost road" with DakhaBrakha, concert from the organizers of the Moloko Music Fest (Adam Green's speech, Adanovsky, Tikkle Me and Sergei Babkin), electro-acoustic program from Alla Zagaykevych, performance from St. Petersburg band NOM, and a festival-closing show from the group "Picasso's Children". Audience: 80 000. Features: Two-hundredth anniversary of the birth of Gogol. For the first time, the Festival leaves the "Artistic Arsenal"
- September 4–12, 2010 – Place Dovzhenko Film Studios. Headliners: Spanish Theatre La Fura Dels Baus, Finnish duo Kimmo Pohjonen Kluster, Italian theatre of athletic dance Kataklo, ethnic ensemble from Tuva (Russia) Huun-Huur-Tu, Russian chamber orchestra «Opus Posth.», Jazzsteppa, The Go! Team from UK. Audience: 120 00. Features: In May, the festival also took place in Perm. In Kiev, for the first time, the Festival will be held at a location other than the "Artistic Arsenal
Most important publications:
- Kyiv Post: Gogolfest celebrates best in modern arts
- Синтетический Гоголь (Газета "Коммерсантъ С-Петербург", №113 (4168), 26.06.2009)
- Модель для сборки (С. Васильев, Weekend (Украина) №152(973) от 11.09.09)
- Vlad Troitsky: Gogolfest creator, savior of Ukrainian theater, troublemaker (By Natalia Antonova. Posted in Arts & Literature, Columnist, Society, Europe. OCTOBER 16, 2009)
- Режиссер Владислав Троицкий: «Худруки Национальных театров должны избираться лишь на два срока, как и президент Украины» (Олег Вергелис «Зеркало недели. Украина» №24, 01 июля 2011, 20:00)
Plans: Developing the European Center of Education and Art “GOGOLFEST-GENERATION”. The project’s aim is to create an art educational cluster and streamlining European and regional integration. The title requires an explanation: description of the action (education in art through production of artistic products), principles of action (focus on the European region, co-production, education and practice) and project philosophy (the unifying idea is of Gogol’s personality, talented and open to the world, accumulating ideas and principles from everywhere and transforming it into something unique).
SEE ALSO: Center of Contemporary Art "DAKH"
- 3rd New Drama Festival "Drama.UA", Lviv, Ukraine
- BE FESTIVAL 2014, Birmingham, United Kingdom
- Call for: Atelier for Young Festival Managers EDINBURGH 2014
- Calling performers and artist from across Europe for BE FESTIVAL 2013, United Kingdom
- Contemporary Drama Festival Budapest 2013, Hungary
- Dimanche Rouge, Tallinn, Estonia
- International Festival "Theatre Confrontaions", Lublin, Poland
- International Theatre Forum TEART 2013, Minsk, Belarus
- PRYZBA-fest: Theatre. Ecology. Social art., Belarus
- "Drabyna" International Theatre Festival - New writing with Royal Court Theatre (London)
Anton Ovchinnikov, Choreographer, Ukraine. Director and founder of the Black O!Range Dance Theatre.
Leszek Bzdyl. Poland. Dancer, actor, choreographer, director. Founder and artistic director of the Dada von Bzdülöw Theatre.
Katarzyna Chmielewska. Poland. Dancer, choreographer, dance teacher. Founder of the Dada von Bzdülöw Theatre. Managing Director of the Dada von Bzdülöw Artists Association.
Dagmar Roubalová. Cultural centre director. Currently working in Praha.
Hasan Zahirović. Actor, translator, teatrologist. Currently working in DAMU, Prague, PhD student.
On the occasion of the 60th anniversary celebrations of the European Festivals Association, the festival network released its jubilee publication and first film entitled "60 Years On: Festivals and...
The Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies is the world’s leading center for the study of cultural diplomacy and is offering educational opportunities in partnership with UNITAR, the Babes-Bolyai...
Motus, Prague remains open to independent creators who want to surprise and engage audiences on new levels.
The art workshop Drabyna (est. 2004) is an organizationdealing with creation and implementation of new ideas in the art scene. Drama and theatre are their primary priorities.
Timisoara’s most important goal is to be received as a German speaking theatre of the highest quality among Romanians and the German-speaking community in Romania.
Art Office is registered as a foundation for public benefit engaged in promotion and circulation of non-commercial productions of the performing arts (theatre, dance and music). It works with...
The mission of the Arts and Theatre Institute is to provide the Czech and international public with a comprehensive range of services in the field of theatre. It also provides individual services...
The network aims to connect independent theatres who experiment with and develop new dramatic writing.